FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)
- Can I take the programme on a part-time basis?
The programme may only be taken on a full-time basis.
- Can I join the programme in January?
No, there is only one admission each year. It begins in August.
- How are is curriculum structure like?
The first year of the PhD in Business (Finance) programme shares the same courses as the MSc in Finance programme. Students will proceed to Year 2 subject to fulfilling minimum GPA requirement and satisfactory completion of qualifying examination and oral presentation of thesis proposal. Candidates are to form Thesis Committee by the end of Year 1. Works on the thesis start in Year 2. Prior to the submission of the thesis, the student must complete 4 credit units of Advanced Research Topics (ARTs). Each ART can be a 1/2 or 1 credit unit course.
- How are is curriculum structure like?
For more details, please refer to Programme Structure and Curriculum.
- What is the duration of the programme?
The duration of the PhD in Business (Finance) programme is usually 4 years.
- Am I expected to have determined my research topic at the point of admission?
These programmes are designed to have a predominant research component. Because of the tight academic schedule and work on thesis preparation, it will be extremely useful for students to have a good idea of their specific research topic at the point of admission.
- I have another Master's degree, will I be granted exemptions for the courses?
Exemptions and waivers are considered on a case-by-case basis.
- Can the programme be taken by distance learning?
The programme is not offered by distance learning. The courses are conducted at SMU campus and candidates are expected to attend all the courses physically.
- Am I eligible to apply for the programme?
The minimum requirements for admission to the programme are:
- Undergraduate Bachelor's degree
- Satisfactory GRE or GMAT results
Applicants must show proficiency in the English language. Applicants, whose undergraduate medium of instruction was not in English, are to sit for either TOEFL or IELTS.
- Am I required to have work experience?
Work experience is not a compulsory requirement.
- How can I find out more about GMAT and GRE?
More information can be obtained from the GMAT website and GRE website . The websites provide information about preparing and registering for the GMAT and GRE tests.
SMU's GMAT institution code is as follows:
SMU's GRE institution code is 2861.
- What is the minimum GMAT/GRE score?
We do not have a minimum GMAT/GRE score as each applicant is evaluated on all the credentials.
- Can I apply before I have taken GMAT/GRE?
You can send the rest of the application to us, even if you have not taken the GMAT/GRE. However we will not process your application without your GMAT/GRE score. You should fax us your unofficial scores as soon as you receive them and arrange with the test centre for the official score report to be sent to SMU.
- Can I be exempt from taking GMAT/GRE?
No, GMAT/GRE is a compulsory requirement for every applicant regardless of the academic background and qualifications.
- Am I required to take TOEFL/IELTS test?
Applicants must show proficiency in the English language. Applicants, whose Undergraduate medium of instruction was not in English, are to sit for either TOEFL or IELTS. More information can be obtained from the TOEFL website and IELTS website. SMU's institution code for TOEFL is 9014.
- What is the minimum TOEFL/IELTS score?
We do not have a minimum TOEFL/IELTS score as each applicant is evaluated on all the credentials.
- Can I apply before I have taken TOEFL/IELTS?
You can send the rest of the application to us, even if you have not taken the TOEFL/IELTS. However we will not process your application without your TOEFL/IELTS score. You should fax us your unofficial scores as soon as you receive them and arrange with the test centre for the official score report to be sent to SMU.
- What is the application procedure?
To apply for the PhD in Business (Finance), please submit an online application via our website at
- Is there an application fee?
Yes, there is a non-refundable application fee of S$15.
- Are there any scholarships or financial assistance available?
Scholarships will be available to outstanding candidates for the full-time programme by research.
Monthly Living Stipend
|Before Qualifying Exam||After Qualifying Exam|
- From August 2015, Singapore Citizens will be provided with 17% CPF contribution.
Scholarship recipients are expected to be teaching/research assistants during the term of the scholarship. There will not be additional pay for the teaching/research assistantships.
The award of scholarship is at the discretion of the Admissions Committee.
- Who will be teaching the programme?
The programmes are taught by a team of dedicated SMU faculty who have extensive research experience in their respective area of specialty.
Please refer to Postgraduate Insurance website here.
For enquiries on Insurance Coverage, Claims Status and Procedures, please contact
Ms Loh May Yee of MYCG Pte Ltd
Authorised Representative of AXA Insurance Singapore Pte Ltd
Mobile: +65 9762 2062
Office: +65 6476 3829
Hotline: +65 9336 0159 (24 hours)
Fax: +65 6474 0089
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
Last updated on 18 Oct 2016 .